Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hummingbird Cake

I was asked to post this recipe this past weekend. This is a very moist cake. I make this cake without the pecans and replace half the oil with applesauce to use for all my kids first birthdays. I also very often avoid the fuss of a layer cake and make it as a sheet cake in a 13x9x2 inch pan. When I do make it as a sheet cake I increase the cooking time to 45 minutes and I use only half the frosting recipe.

3 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
3/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp vanilla
1 8oz can crushed pineapple undrained
1 cup finely chopped pecans
2 ripe mashed bananas

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.

Stir in oil, eggs and vanilla until batter is moist.

Add bananas, pineapple and pecans and mix well.

Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9 inch cake pans and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. (Wooden pick cake test works great on this recipe)

Cool in pans for 15 minutes and then on racks until completely cool.

Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting:
Cream together:
1/2 cup soft butter
1 8ox package of cream cheese (also softened)
16 oz powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

No comments:

Post a Comment