Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Carrot (Sunshine) Soup

So, I started "eating clean" last week. I have enjoyed it largely because I can play with new recipes. This recipe looked good but also familiar. My mom used to make "Solskin Soup" which it turns out is very similar to this recipe.

1/2 cup olive oil or melted coconut butter (I use 1/4 cup of of each)
1 cup chopped onion
1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
6 cups peeled grated carrots
2 cloves of garlic (use a garlic press)
2 boxes low sodium chicken broth ( Rachel Rays is lower in sodium than the popular brand marked "low sodium")
1 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp sea salt (if you don't have sea salt use 1 tsp regular salt)
Juice from two fresh squeezed oranges
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger

Saute onion in oil until onions are tender.

Add carrots, sweet potatoes, and garlic and saute on low for 15 minutes more.

Add broth and salt and pepper and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to a simmer add orange juice and ginger and simmer for one hour.

Blend the soup in a blender until smooth and serve.

My family liked this with a dollup of sour cream in it! Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment